Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Decorating On A Dime with Salvage & Garage Sale Finds


If you ever heard the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure" and you go to Flea Markets and Garage sales, you know that this is so true.  I am always amazed by what people either throw away or sell for nickels and dimes. From chandeliers to old barn doors, mirrors, antiques and anything else you can think of, I have seen it all at a garage sale. Better still, the prices on these items are ridiculously low or even free in some cases.


I remember the very first "treasure" piece that I acquired.  It was a sad looking French wrought iron garden table.  The tarnished white paint was flaking and it had a little rust going on in some places, but to me it was gorgeous!  Luckily, my neighbor who owned it saw me admiring her table and gave it to me as a gift. Or maybe she just wanted it out of her yard, whatever the reason, I am the proud owner of that table today. Well, that was years ago but that simple experience opened my eyes to a whole new dimension in decorating.  Flea market and garage sales here I come!

Before I go any further, I must warn you that decorating with salvage pieces/garage sale finds is very addictive.  I personally know a lady who has both her house and yard full of "treasures".  Very careful selection is key here.  If you find yourself collecting toilets to plant flowers in, you my friend have gone too far.  Yes, I know it sounds funny, but people actually do this.  Perhaps the same people who coined the phrase "dumpster diving"..........  In any event, you do not want to go that far with this.  Consider yourself forewarned. Only select pieces that you already have a home or a plan for.

Here are a few ideas to inspire you and get you started. Happy collecting, and I cant wait to hear about your finds!



This shabby chic vintage sign is perfect as a wall hanging or as part of a vignette.


 Architectural wood elements are great to add rustic charm and a personalized touch.


If you see something like this and can afford it, buy it.  You cannot go wrong with this purchase.


I love this look.  So beautiful and out of the box, a great way to repurpose an old ornate frame.


This room has so much personality, and most of the pieces are "treasure" finds.
The headboard is simply divine
.

Assorted candle sticks and one amazing vintage mirror....exquisite.


Wrought iron pieces are a great find.  They are textural, alluring and visual interesting.


An old window/door adds so much character to a space.  Try it, you wont be disappointed.


Pictures courtesy of 

For more information on the subject check out:

You can also find

And salvage inspired items (Shabby Chic) on Amazon.

11 comments:

Liz said...

I LOVE great garage sale finds! I am now following you back! =)

MomOf2AtHome said...

How inspiring! I love these looks! I'll have to keep this kind of thing in mind when I'm redecorating!

Amy Sullivan said...

Bounced over from MBC. Oh my gosh, I love both cream and white for rooms! I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to really do an all white room, but I've been thinking about it. Great finds!

Katherine said...

Great blog, I look forward to reading some more! I'm a new follower

http://www.heimsoth.blogspot.com/

Diane said...

Found you through MBC and now following your loveley blog. I LOVE antiques and we bought a new house last year (well, new to us) so I'm always looking for decorating inspiration!

Mama on a Green Mission said...

Love the blog!! Following from MBC! 3 more til your goal! YAY! Congrats! Would love for you to follow back!

http://greenmissionmama.blogspot.com

Madison said...

I love it when I come across vintage treasures. Lovely post!
Your new follower.
http://articlesautismdisabilityinformation.blogspot.com/

Katherine ( Katie) Corrigan said...

Great post. Hugs and wishes for a happy weekend!

Jacqueline said...

Following u;) pls follow back:)
- saw u on MCB; very cute stuff!

mommaraff said...

I am so glad that you found me on my blog! I love your ideas here and must admit that I love garage sales. My friend and I were just talking about going together. My major finds are organization items. They are so expensive in stores and so cheap at garage sales! Great blog I'm now following you back.

lifewiththeraffs.blogspot.com

Penny said...

New follower from MBC. Please follow back http://tupelodeals.blogspot.com