Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Drab To Fab Bookcase Style




Photo courtesy of Jacqueline Zinn 


If you hate clutter and love collecting books the way I do, then you know how 
frustrating it is to maintain order in your bookcase.  It gets even trickier if you 
actually use these books on a regular basis.  So what do you do.... 

First of all a bookcase is a great opportunity to showcase your personality and 
style.  So with this in mind, go around your home and collect decorative pieces 
to display that represents your interest and hobbies.  It could be as simple as 
river rocks, plates or picture frames.  You decide. 




Ready?  Lets do this! 

Bookcase Makeover Guide

1.  Sort your books.  Take out the ones that are torn or ripped. 

2.  Group books by size and subject matter. 

3.  Arrange books in both horizontal and vertical stacks to create visual interest. 

4.  Fill unused/negative spaces with beautiful momentos such as framed 
pictures, decorative storage boxes, vases and figurines.  (or whatever makes 
you happy) 

5.  Finally, vary the height of each stack of books and create layers. This could 
be done by placing one decorative element behind another to create depth and 
more impact. ( See photo below for example) 


Unknown photo source 



Photo courtesy of Delightful Dwelling

I absolutely love this idea and its so easy to do.  Just add wall paper of your 
choice as a backdrop and  bring on the wow factor! 


Unknown photo source 


Photo courtesy of Real Simple


Photo courtesy of Material Girl


Photo courtesy of Honey We're Home 


Photo courtesy of Honey We're Home 



Photo courtesy of Honey We're Home 

I just love the way these books were arranged by color.  Simple but very dramatic effect.


hoto courtesy of Honey We're Home 

And there you have it!  You're done.  See, now that wasn't so bad was it..... 




10 comments:

CaveGirl said...

Thanks for these tips and ideas! I love organizing my book shelf to look more aesthetically pleasing and this gave great ideas. Love you site!

Shelly said...

You have great ideas! :) Very creative!! :)

Beauty and the Green said...

Thanks for all the great comments! I love design and anything crafty so there is much more to come.

Sleppery said...

there might be hope for my cluttered shelves yet! :)

Kathy said...

You explain things in such a user freindly way that even I could do it! Thanks for the great ideas and the pictures!

Beauty and the Green said...

I am so happy to hear that. I really want people to feel inspired and know that anyone can do this and have fun too!

***Holly*** said...

I love the look of the bookshelves with a contrasting color on the inside!

Crinthia said...

I love your showcase of beautiful book shelves, I made a mental note. I am moving soon, I need design ideas. btw I am a new gfc follower from MBC.

Tess said...

Hi! I like those ideas.
New follower from MBC
http://www.pro-tography101.blogspot

Tracie said...

I love your blog and wanted to give you a little something to let you know. The Stylish Blogger award. Come to my place www.boredministerswife.blogspot.com to get your award. There are a few rules to follow if you want to.