Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

1930's Style - I Just Cant Get Enough!



I am seriously smitten with 1930's style furniture, fashion and design.  I mean seriously.  Perhaps because everything looked so luxurious and glam then.....and effort was put into even the most minute detail.


Amazing craftsmanship was the norm then too, and not just for the rich.  Though I wasn't born in that era it is definitely my favorite by far.  So what's a girl to do if she wants to find authentic 1930's pieces.....in 2011...and not have a cardiac arrest from the prices?


Well, here is what I do.  Two words, Craigslist and Ebay!  I stalk these sites like you won't believe.  Like "eye of the tiger", relentless.  After all, the very day I fail to check may be the day my dream piece is listed.  Just sayin. 

 There is no better example of this than the pictures below.  I had been looking for a real specific type of couch from the 1930's and I had searched for months and then bam!  (ha ha, yes I said bam)  It happened.  This gorgeous perfect couch that had all the elements I wanted. And trust me I am very nit picky, but that's another post entirely. 



This couch also came with a love seat. How neat is that!  

My favorite part is the tufted back and the gently sloped arms.  So classic, so 1930's lux.  Oh, and would you believe it's also extremely comfortable too? Yup, sure is. 

Another great feature of this couch is the legs.   Though you can't see it here, the legs are exactly like the modern reproduction below.  So, if I take of the skirt I will have a couch that has both modern and vintage elements. Perfect! 


Now that I have my couch, I am looking for a French Provential dresser like the one pictured here or similar.   I  am so excited to see what I will find.  Who knows....   One thing I do know for sure is, I will never, ever settle for less than what I really want.  This is a principal that I have applied to all aspects of my life,.  Be patient. Work hard. And go get it!  Period.


Cherio!







7 comments:

Stephanie of Gumdrop Pass said...

Oooh, I love this post for so many reasons!

1) I ADORE 20s-40s fashion, decor, EVERYTHING.

2) You're a deal hunter! Who says you have to pay exorbitant amounts of money for stylish things? Good for you for your fantastic finds!

3) I can't wait to see what else you find/do!

Good luck with the hunt for the dresser. :)

Beauty and the Green said...

Thanks! I will post my finds for sure, am super excited. I hope I find the dresser sooner than I did the couch but if not, I will be patient until I find it!

Live*Laugh*Love said...

I am your newest follower would love for you to follow me back thanks

Camille said...

ooooooo i agree totally!! love this post. love the dresser especially. i am actually looking for almost the exact same thing for our bedroom.

cheers.

Dmarie said...

wow, impressed that you are going to re-do a couch. perfect up-cycling!

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious said...

I'm so there with you on that one. I also adore the fashion, etc from that era. And yes, it is certainly hard to come by. You did really good finding that couch though. Go you!

Crystal said...

I love that style era too! :)