Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

African Fashion....So Haute!



If there is a style that fits me to a tee, I would have to say, it's African fashion.  And not for the reasons one might think.  Nope.  Not because am black.  African fashion suits me because it's vibrant, complex, textured, colorful, soulful, regal, original, but most of all unapologetic!  And that's me in a nutshell.

Yesterday I just happened upon the lead picture in this post and let me tell you, it literally took  my breath away.  I have seen African prints and clothing all my life but this is something different.  Something fresh. This is not about African prints, it's about the spirit of the land and the people.  This is African inspired fashion.....at it's best. You can see the Zebra inspiration, the colors of the earth, the shape and reference to the trees and so much more.  The corn rows and braids are there too, but it is all new.  Reinterpreted. Brilliant. 2012 savvy.  All grown up.

These pictures here are from a spread that was featured in a 2010 edition of Essence Magazine.  This is a perfect example of what I am talking about.  The looks were inspired by the Maasai tribe and styled by Billie Causleesto.  The gorgeous photographs were taken by David Roemer.






I hope this post inspires you to try a little African fashion in your wardrobe.  It could be as simple as adding a striking piece of jewelry, a print skirt, head wrap or patterned shoes.  It's easy to do and the results are all kinds of amazing.

 But don't take my word for it, try it and see for yourself...


Cherio!

11 comments:

Meanqueen said...

These fashions are lovely, anyone could wear them whichever colour they happen to be. I really should incorporate some colour and style into my drab and practical wardrobe.

Veronica Lee said...

OMG! These are fantastic! Love the safari colours!

Nekky said...

I'm loving this. I love to wear them and can't have enough them. Makes me feel like a woman.

May said...

I'm so proud of my African heritage.
Fabulous designs, thanks for sharing.
Hope you have a great week.

Ally @ Love Parish said...

If I could get my hands on such fabulous jewelry I would wear it every single day, even just to do the simplest of things. I love bold prints as much as bold accessories. This post made me crave for all of that 100 times more!!

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious said...

I love all of these prints! The are truly beautiful and unapologetic, as you said. Not to mention, it looked like so much fun to shot these pics!

Stephanie of Gumdrop Pass said...

LOVE. While I don't think I could personally pull of the prints, I love all of the jewelry! My solid color shirts would definitely appreciate the facelift that some of these accessories would offer. :)

...and that model on the cover of the Time magazine. Gorgeous. Can I be her for a day? :)

Marina {Yummy Mummy) said...

Gorgeous! Love those pics!

Lindsay said...

The fashion is just stunningly beautiful!!

Shanda said...

LOVE these. I have to say, growing up in Africa probably helped my tastes in clothes!

Joy Page Manuel said...

You're right! These photos are amazing and the outfits are really vibrant and unapologetic as you had said! I respect fashion like this, when they reflect cultures in such tasteful ways! Thanks for sharing!