Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Old Door.....New Tricks!


In my post decorating on a dime with salvage and garage sale finds I couldn't get enough of how these sometimes discarded pieces could be transformed and integrated into a space.......and look so amazing!

Old doors are my personal favorite though.  Why?  Well, because doors are important in every home. It is the way we welcome someone or something,......and, the way we say goodbye. Either way, we choose. This symbolism makes it all the more special to me.  Also, the aging process/patina on these pieces are just incredible!!!  And some of them are pretty amazing "as is".  No work required.  Gotta love that.  I. So. Do.



Lately my crush on these battered and bruised doors has really gotten out of hand intensified. I am always on the prowl looking for the perfect old door.  I stalk craigslist, my local thrift shops and I always, always, pay attention whenever there is construction going on in/to an old building.  Old doors are that special to me.  They have so much personality, texture, interest, history and of course they can be fully functional.


I personally like the look of adding glass on top of the door which modernizes and enhances the textures underneath.  A perfect combo of old and new.  Luv! Luv!



Of course old doors can be used for headboards, coffee tables, wall pieces and much more but since the desk and head board is perhaps the easiest to do, I chose the desk.  When I feel more confident, who knows, I might build me a coffee table.  Come what may though, one thing I do know for sure.  Am gonna have a lot of fun in the process!  You betcha.


Cherio!




13 comments:

mom.of.7 said...

Fun blog! I love new ideas with antique materials. I look forward to reading. You can visit and follow me back at brainlessmomof7@blogspot.com

Jaye said...

great blog. im a new follower from mbc.

Bee A Social Media Mom said...

I love your work! I am following you from my BeeASocMedMom blog page but, I would love for you to visit my http://hotsavinmama.com site. I'm all about organizing, savings, budgeting, life changes etc. Check it out! I'll also follow you from that site, once I'm back on it. Leave a comment and your blog for me on that one. So, I can find you again. HAHA! ;D ~Holly

lauradora said...

I love how they painted the wall with chalk board paint in the first photo.

momto8 said...

wow..I never considered using a door like this! thanks.

Shanda said...

LOVE them! I love old doors anyway but you have some great ideas; especially the sliding one!

Nekky said...

Old doors have their antique and elegant look and style. Thanks for stopping by. Visiting you from WORLD BLOGGERS COMMUNITY.

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious said...

WOW!!! I would have never thought of doing something like this. I said this before and I'll say it again, you are SO creative. I love the idea of adding glass to it for a table top. LOVE that idea!

Loressa said...

Oh! A woman after my very heart! I love love love old doors and windows! Last summer we made a shadow box out of a old window...it is my prized possession! Thanks for the follow! Now following back...and I will be back also;)

Stephanie of Gumdrop Pass said...

Love, love, LOVE! These are such creative, fun ideas. I especially like the glass top desk door - SUCH a cute idea!

I needs to go search me up some doors, now. :) So many good uses for them other than to just to walk through! :)

Hope you're having a good week!

M.D. Harness said...

LOVE the creativity. Now following from MBC, have a blessed week!

http://www.thebrokenmommy.blogspot.com/

Lindsay said...

I adore the look of the "old door". My favorite is the first one!

CrazyNutsMom said...

I love old doors too! We salvaged one from the neighbors house before they demolished it (sigh). We didn't get the pocket doors that they had in it, someone else took them. They were an old system of pullies and things, that would have been cool to install.

I'm a new Networked blog follower.

Regina
www.thecrazynutsmom.com